Dave Young (IE) is an artist and researcher based in Nottingham. His practice follows critical research into digital culture, manifested through workshops, website development, and talks on subjects varying from cybernetics and the Cold War history of network technologies, to issues around copyright and open source/free culture.
He is founder of Localhost, a forum for discussing, dismantling and disrupting network technologies, with past events focusing on Google's entry into media art curation, and the role of analog radio as a potential commons in the digital age. He has presented workshops and given talks at institutions and festivals internationally, including at Edinburgh College of Art, V2 Rotterdam, Furtherfield, LiWoLi, and Transmediale.
Mail: dvyng [at] protonmail [dot] com.
Works online around the web:
- [Talk] Weaponising Weather: Satellite Experiments in Forecasting and Control during the Cold War, as part of the Spacekeet project at the Department of Search, Utrecht Science Park. June 2017. [link]
- [Workshop] Network Diagnostics 1: Manpowertop, at Furtherfield, London. June 2017. [link]
- [Paper] Computing War Narratives: The Hamlet Evaluation System in Vietnam, APRJA: Machine Research, April 2017. [link]
- [Exhibition] Rhythm of Life, with Thought Collider, at STRP Festival Eindhoven, March-April 2017.
- [Exhibition] Cursor at Edinburgh Arts Festival: Blush Response, City Arts Centre, Edinburgh, July-August 2016.
- [Event] Resistance Training, Edinburgh College of Art, March 2016.
- [Residency] Reposition Matrix: Mapping the circumstances around the targeted killing of Anwar Al-Awlaki in September 2011. At Artist Run Data Centre: Servus, Linz, Austria. Jul-Nov 2015.
- [Event] Localhost: RWX, Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop, October 2015.
- [Event] Localhost: ANTI-TECH: A screening of Lutz Dammbeck's Das Netz, Edinburgh, September 2015.
- [Residency] Reposition Matrix at Artist Run Data Centre, Servus, Linz, July-Nov 2015.
- [Workshop] Localhost: Snooper's Charter Redux!!!, Edinburgh, June 2015.
- [Talk] Automatic Warfare, DRONES, Disrupt Network Lab, Berlin, April 2015.
- [Workshop] Net Worth / Net work, Parson's Paris, New School of Design. February 2015.
- [Workshop] Professionalism: Or, What Has Cybernetics Done For Artist Professional Practice?, Edinburgh College of Art, March 2015
- [Text] So Community. Much Professional. Very Competition for the Into The Atelier publication, published March 2015.
- [Exhibition] Yet Another Collaborative Editor: Embassy Edition Pro at Embassy Gallery, Edinburgh, Nov 2014.
- [Workshop] Localhost: Write the Wave with Roel Roscam Abbing, ForestCentrePlus, Edinburgh. Nov 2014.
- [Event/Talk] Localhost: The Radio and the Commons, ForestCentrePlus, Edinburgh. Nov 2014.
- [Event/Talk] Localhost: Corporate Curation, talk of Google DevArt and curated event about corporate arts sponsorship. Sept 2014 - see here for info.
- [Exhibition] For What It's Worth - Exhibition of The Rhythm of Life and Consent with ThoughtCollider and DEWG at Boijmans van Beuningen Museum, Rotterdam, NL. Sept 2014.
- [Text] The Untold Truth About Nixon, Anguish and Taber's Adventure Album, published in Suzanne van der Lingen's Exotica! [also online], May 2014.
- [Talk] Border Glitches and Proxy Territories, The Talbot Rice Gallery, Edinburgh, Scotland. May 2014.
- [Workshop] Into the Atelier 1, Edinburgh College of Art, February 2014.
- [Exhibition] What Is Free Culture? (with Eleanor Greenhalgh), Het Nieuwe Instituut, Rotterdam. Nov 2013.
- [Workshop] Mapping Free Culture (with Eleanor Greenhalgh), WORM, Rotterdam. Nov 2013.
- [Workshop] Blending In, at WORM, Rotterdam. October 2013.
- [Talk] This Thing Is Deep In Finite Absolutes, Schmiede, Hallein, Austria. Sept 2013
- [Workshop] Mapping US Espionage, 1947-2007, at Schmiede, Hallein, Austria. Sept 2013.
- [Exhibition] Telewar, at Cyber Insecurities, Washington Project for the Arts, September 2013.
- [Workshop] The Reposition Matrix VII, Share Conference, HR. July 22nd.
- [Talk] Automatic Warfare, Share Conference, Rijeka, Croatia. July 23rd, 2013.
- [Workshop] The Reposition Matrix VI, V2, Rotterdam, NL. July 7th.
- [Workshop] The Reposition Matrix V, Glitch Festival, Rua Red Dublin, IE. June 15th.
- [Workshop] The Reposition Matrix IV, Furtherfield Gallery, London, UK, May 18th.
- [Workshop] The Reposition Matrix III, WORM, Rotterdam, NL. May 8th, 2013.
- [Workshop] The Reposition Matrix II, Block T, Dublin, IE. April 20, 2013.
- [Workshop] Investigative Datajournalism: Visualising Donations to Irish Political Parties, 1997-2008. Recyclism Hacklab, Dublin, IE. April 19, 2013.
- [Workshop] Processing Systems Art, National College of Art and Design, Dublin, IE. April 18, 2013.
- [Workshop] The Reposition Matrix I, Piet Zwart Institute, Rotterdam, March 2013.
- [Workshop] Consent to Print (w. Eleanor Greenhalgh), part of the Post-Digital Publishing Programme at Transmediale: BWPWAP, Jan 2013.
- [Talk] Fear of Silence at Lab111, Smart Project Space, Amsterdam. Dec 2012.
- [Exhibition] Re-Assembly Line at the Creative Now! Exhibition, WORM Rotterdam, June 2012.
- [Talk] Precognitive Systems, at LIWOLI, May 2012, Linz, Austria.
- [Talk] The Fruitsalad Enigma at Unlike Art, Institute of Network Cultures, March 2012, Amsterdam.